The team at Frank is here to support you through the COVID-19 pandemic. We know times aren’t so simple right now, but your health and wellbeing is a top priority for us.
We’ll keep this page updated with new information as the situation evolves.
Support for Frank members
We understand some of our members may be experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Through our member support package, we're doing everything we can to support those who really need it over this tough period.
If you're experiencing financial hardship, reach out to the Frank team to discuss your options in more detail.
Check out our frequently asked questions below for more information.
Financial hardship assistance
If you’re still experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to suspend your membership, with the ability to reactivate your cover at any time you need.
The Frank team can help to discuss options for you and your situation.
COVID-19 member support package
- All members with hospital cover will be covered for COVID-19 related hospitalisations, regardless of your level of cover.
- Telehealth ancillary benefits are available for a wide range of services to support continuity of care at home.
To make staying healthy easy as, Frank has introduced new telehealth ancillary benefits for a wide range of extras services.
With social distancing measures in place, it’s important that our members can receive the treatment they need at this time. Telehealth consultations are safe, effective and give members continuity of care from the safety of their homes. Find out more.
Frequently asked questions
COVID-19 and your health cover
- Frank has introduced new support measures, which mean existing members with hospital cover will be covered for all COVID-19 related hospital treatments as a private patient, as long as you have served your initial two-month waiting periods.
- This COVID-19 coverage will be provided until 31 March 2022.
- We have added wording to hospital eligibility checks to confirm coverage for all of our members with hospital cover so the hospitals are aware that you will be covered.
- Coronavirus does not have its own clinical category or MBS item number.
- If you are admitted into hospital to determine the root cause of the presenting illness, this is covered the same way as it would for any other medical admission, eg. flu/pneumonia.
- If you are admitted to hospital as a result of a condition developed following contracting coronavirus, the condition will come under the applicable clinical category, eg. Lung and Chest.
- We don't cover outpatient appointments such as GP appointments, blood tests etc.
- These rules will continue to apply as normal, including for coronavirus.
- If you buy health insurance now to be covered for coronavirus, the standard two-month hospital waiting periods will apply before you are able to claim benefits.
- For members who are new to private health insurance, the standard two-month hospital waiting periods will apply.
- The rules in relation to pre-existing conditions for hospital cover will not apply.
Yes. You may be able to suspend your cover due to financial hardship if you've had an active Frank health insurance policy for at least six months. During a suspension period, you won't need to pay your premium, but you also won't be able to claim on services for this period of time.
Additional suspension measures we have put in place for members who may be experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic include:
- Suspension for up to 12 months.
- Waiving the minimum suspension period so you can reactivate at any time you need.
Talk to one of our Frank team members about your situation and they can guide you through the things to consider, ensure you have the right level of affordable cover and answer any questions.
As with any other type of suspension, you are not able to claim benefits while your cover is suspended.
- The Federal Government has advised all non-urgent elective surgery will be suspended until further notice from midnight on 26 March due to the coronavirus.
- If you have a pre-booked hospital admission or ongoing hospital treatment, we would recommend to regularly check in with your doctor and hospital before your admission for the most up-to-date information.
Getting in touch with Frank
We’re trying our best to make sure our service levels aren’t impacted at the moment, however we may have longer waiting times due to reduced staff levels at Frank. The team is available on 1300 437 265.
Other ways to get in touch with Frank
- Log in to member area to view your cover, make extras claims and access a range of other services.
- Chat to us on web chat.
- Email us.
We’re working hard to continue making things as simple as possible for our members.